Thursday 9 May 2013

Craft and Art As A Therapy For At Home Carers And Disabled People.

Thursday 9th May 2013



Hello!
I thought I would tell you a little more about myself today. If you read my first blog, you will know I love to make jewellery. My crafting helps me cope with all that goes on around me and keeps me sane!(well as sane as I will ever be-lol!)
For those of you who don't know me-I am a qualified primary teacher .I loved my job and the little people whom I worked with. I gave this love up after my second daughter was born, to become a full time mum to both my daughters . My oldest daughter-(Bob) was born with a very rare congenital right leg disability, which has involved us traveling to Great Ormond Street hospital in London. We did this regularly for thirteen years, while living in Scotland.
Bob had a very intrusive operation almost two years ago-sadly she now suffers chronic pain and has to be home tutored. I am carer and mum to my lovely Bob. Days are often hard emotionally and physically for both Bob and I .Somewhere within all the madness, I find tranquillity and peace of mind in making my jewellery. It has become a therapy for me-where I can leave my worries for a while and the magical sparkles of bead , fabric and wire allow me to transport myself to a place of calmness and normality-just for a little while.
Bob herself is now limited to what her body allows. Pain takes over her life and and has stolen her teenage life to a degree .Little, by little she is wandering down the pathway of art and music to help her deal with her pain. Her love of photography and nature is helping her see her life is worthy and just because she spends a lot of time in her wheelchair, doesn't mean she can't achieve in, or enjoy her life. Her photographs allow her to create and give others pleasure, as well of giving her a sense of achievement. Her music allows for relaxation and transports her to a less painful place-if only for a while!
So, when you look at my jewellery, or wear a piece, know that it not only does it give you pleasure to wear it, it has helped me find time for myself, helped me relax and forget my worries and given me a sense of purpose. Each little dragonfly has given me so much before it touches you!
Until Next Time!
Clare x

No comments:

Post a Comment